Gilmer County Georgia
Gilmer County Fire Department has immediate openings for Full-Time Firefighter/Paramedic.
The purpose of this position is to perform fire department emergency and non-emergency scene activities including basic firefighting and emergency medical care; directs and performs a variety of staff support functions; and related work as assigned.
Education and Certification Requirements
- Must have a High School Diploma or GED equivalent
- Georgia Firefighter Certification or NPQ I or II Certification Preferred
- State of Georgia EMT-Paramedic Certification Required
- Ability to meet and maintain current requirements set forth by the National Fire Protection Association and the Georgia Firefighter Standards and Training Act
- Must have a valid Georgia driver’s license
Essential Job Functions
- Provides protection of life and property; suppresses, controls, and extinguishes fires; performs search rescue, and extrication of victims, and forcible entries; Respond to alarms, medial assistance, natural disasters, hazardous materials incidents, and first response in emergency situations
- Provides basic life support (BLS) and advanced life support (ALS) services; performs detailed subjective and objective patient assessments within established protocols, stabilization, and treatment; coordinates emergency care procedures with authorized emergency hospital staff
- Provides protection of life
- Compose and maintain daily reports
- Drives, operates, and monitors a variety of fire/emergency vehicles/apparatus as needed; determines the best route to reach the location of emergency calls, performs driving functions in a safe and efficient manner under various conditions, including day/night hours, in congested traffic, in adverse weather conditions and in emergency situations involving speeds in excess of posted limits; positions apparatus and equipment for optimal use of equipment and hose
- Excellent Public Relations skills required
- Attends required training, meetings, and alarms regularly
- Must demonstrate dependable regular attendance
- Must be adaptable to performing under considerable stress when confronted with an emergency
- Must be physically able to operate a variety of firefighting/EMT machines, equipment, and/or tools.
- Must be able to lift and/or carry weights of 125 pounds at least one hundred (100) feet
- Must be able to exert up to one hundred (100) pounds of force occasionally, and/or lift fifty (50) pounds frequently
- Other duties may be required and assigned
The rate of pay for this position is $16.00 an hour, eligible for overtime after 40 hours. This position offers the following benefits for all full-time employees; medical, dental, vision, long & short disability insurance, 457(b) retirement account, as well as accident & cancer insurance.
Applicants will be required to submit to a post-offer Criminal History/Background check and pre-employment drug screen.
An employment application can be obtained, filled out, and dropped off at the Board of Commissioners Office, 1 Broad Street, Suite 106, Ellijay, GA 30540 Monday through Friday from 8:30am to 4:30pm or emailed to email@example.com. Resumes will only be accepted as a supplement to the completed employment application.
If applying via email please email the following documents to our office:
Gilmer County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the County will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.