Gilmer County Georgia
The purpose of these positions is to perform Fire Department and EMS emergency and non-emergency operations during assigned shifts; engages in emergency scene activities including defense/exterior basic firefighting tasks and emergency medical care; and performs a variety of staff support functions, and other related work as assigned.
Education, Experience, and Certification Requirements
- Must have a High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
- Georgia Firefighter Certification or NPQ I Certification within 1 year of hire.
- State of Georgia Paramedic Certification Required.
- Ability to meet and maintain current requirements set forth by the National Fire Protection Association and the Georgia Firefighter Standards and Training Act.
- Must have a valid Georgia driver’s license.
Essential Job Functions
- Responds to medical emergencies and renders medical care to include patient assessment, airway management, patient treatment, and patient packaging all in accordance within the Georgia EMT/Paramedic level. Provides assistance to EMS providers as necessary including accompanying the ambulance crew to the hospital. Uses various tools, equipment, and materials associate with accomplishing emergency medical tasks. Inspects all IV fluids and drugs carried on assigned apparatus for expiration dates. Ensures all medical equipment and bags carried on apparatus are clean, re-stocked, and ready for service.
- Responds to fires; performs defensive/exterior fire related functions, exposure control, fire scene rehab setup, fire scene accountability, an apparatus operations/pumping if qualified. Is given fireground tasks by superior officers and carries out these tasks in a safe manner. Uses various tools, equipment, bunker gear, and materials associated with accomplishing fireground tasks.
- Responds to incidents involving hazardous materials; assists in the mitigation of the material in accordance with the level of training and certification. Uses various tools, equipment, and materials associated with accomplishing hazardous materials response tasks.
- Responds to technical rescue emergencies to include but not limited to; rope rescue, trench rescue, water rescue, and extrication/disentanglement of patients. Uses various tools, equipment, and materials associated with accomplishing technical rescue tasks in accordance with the level of training and certification.
- Inspects apparatus and equipment daily for readiness; performs routine maintenance and cleaning; ensures readiness after each use. Inspects PPE, SCBA mask, helmet, boots, gloves, and hood daily; cleans as needed; inspects after each use. May be asked to assist with installation of smoke detectors at residences and assist with fire prevention activities.
- Excellent Public Relations skills required.
- Attends required training, meetings, and alarms regularly.
- Must demonstrate dependable regular attendance.
- Must be adaptable to performing under considerable stress when confronted with an emergency.
- Must be physically able to operate a variety of firefighting/EMT machines, equipment, and/or tools.
- Must be able to lift and/or carry weights of 125 pounds at least one hundred (100) feet.
- Must be able to exert up to one hundred (100) pounds of force occasionally, and/or lift fifty (50) pounds frequently.
- Other duties may be required and assigned.
Starting pay for this position is $17.00 an hour with an additional $2.00 per hour Ambulance Assignment rate.
Benefits for all full-time employees include; paid vacation/sick leave, paid holidays, medical, dental, vision, long & short disability insurance, 457(b) retirement account with match contributions, as well as accident & cancer insurance.
All applicants are required to complete an official Gilmer County employment application. Employment applications can be obtained at the Board of Commissioners office located at 1 Broad Street, Suite 106, An employment application can be obtained, filled out, and dropped off at the Board of Commissioners Office, 1 Broad Street, Suite 106, Ellijay, GA 30540 Monday through Friday from 8:30am to 4:30pm or emailed to email@example.com.
If applying via email please email the following documents to our office:
Gilmer County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the County will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org