GIlmer County Tax Appraisers Office
Gilmer County Tax Assessors Office has immediate openings for Full-Time Appraiser Technician.
Starting Rate of Pay: $15.75 an hour.
Education, Experience, and Certification Requirements
- Hold a high school diploma or GED and be at least 21 years of age
- Must possess a valid driver’s license
- Must be able to travel for training
- Has a knowledge and understanding of standard property appraisal methods and techniques, construction techniques, and Georgia property tax assessment laws, policies and procedures, including, but not limited to, Georgia Department of Revenue Appraisal Procedures Manual
- Familiarity with office procedures and basic accounting principles
- Working knowledge of office devices
- Computer skills with the ability to do data entry and sketch structures with Wingap
- Typing skills
- Be in good physical and mental health
- Physically able to walk, sometimes for long distances, when reviewing properties
- Ability to work outdoors in varied weather and seasonal conditions in environments with moderate noise levels
- Ability to work independently
Ability to drive a 4 wheel-drive (4WD) vehicle into remote limited access areas
Essential Job Functions
- Under supervision the Appraiser Technician, is expected to learn and perform work in the appraisal of real and personal property for tax assessment purposes.
- Assist the public with questions on property valuation and related tax questions as needed
- Answer the phone and take messages or redirect calls to appropriate departments
- Utilize office equipment such as copier, printer and computers-including Word and Excel
- Assist title researchers, attorneys, surveyors and the public on how to use Wingap, map searching, hard copy property record card searches and use of our website
- Make field visits to properties in the county to assist the Chief Appraiser in compiling and completing the Gilmer County
- Tax Digest, for, but not limited to, things such as annual review, permits, returns, appeals, exempt property applications and demolition
- Have the aptitude to learn and perform tasks assigned including reviewing maps, plats, deeds, legal descriptions, mortgages, land covenants, financial reports and photography, etc., to locate property; visiting the property and gathering all information necessary to determine value; performing basic research on building costs and sales data; computing appraisal values for real and personal property
- Ability to research, analyze, inspect and photograph property for the gathering of data and information necessary for appraisals such as size, zoning, location and use
- Perform other related duties and tasks as required and assigned
- Attend workshops and training sessions as the Chief Appraiser sees fit
- Have an understanding and knowledge of all work and departments in the Assessors’ office
Applicants will be required to submit to a post offer Criminal History/Background check and drug screen.
All applicants are required to complete a Gilmer County application. An employment application can be obtained, filled out, and dropped off at the Board of Commissioners Office, 1 Broad Street, Suite 106, Ellijay, GA 30540 Monday through Friday from 8:30am to 4:30pm or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes will only be accepted as a supplement to the completed employment application.
If applying via email please email the following documents to our office:
Gilmer County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the County will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com